How to change the front and rear indicators of your BMW R100 LT
In the beginning, the turn signals are for us motorbikers, the guarantors of our basic safety and our presence while riding. However, the initial signals aren’t at all flattering the motorbike design. Specifically on the BMW R100 LT! To be truthful, they are really unattractive. For this reason, changing the turn signal is now one of the first measures in the modification of the motorbike. Simply to match the general line. Additionnaly, for authenticity. It is still more enjoyable to not ride the same BMW R100 LT as his neighbor. Despite the simple fact that this change is extremely simple and affordable, several aspects need to be regarded. In particular, when changing turn signal lamps to LED turn signals. It is right that the LED signals are generally more beautiful and especially longer lasting because of their long life. On the other hand, their setting up is not as basic as when changing standard turn signals. Simply because the LED turn signals do not require the same electric power to operate. We will explain to you the specifics of their set up in this article.
Tips on how to select the indicators for your BMW R100 LT
Primary, to choose the right signals for your BMW R100 LT, it is true that we can discover a lot of bad stuffs on the marketplace. And particularly with huge price differences. For your BMW R100 LT, you will have to ask yourself the right questions to choose the perfect signals. Begin by knowing if your BMW R100 LT is previously equipped with standard indicators or LED indicators. Just because if you want to change your flashing lights to LED turn signals on your BMW R100 LT, it does not need the precise same installation spending and methods. For the change to a LED turning system starting from a ordinary installation you will have two different methods. The first one is to change the signal relay of your BMW R100 LT in order to deliver an sufficient electric power for the new unit installation. The second method is to deceive your indicators relay by installing a resistor on every turn signals. Generally, the second approach is the least expensive for your BMW R100 LT. Concerning the second approach, it will be revealed in this guide. Secondly, the certification of your BMW R100 LT’s turn indicators is essential if you do not want to pay a fine. For their spacing installation, it is a minimum gap of 240 mm at the front side and 180 mm at the rear side of your BMW R100 LT. And for their frequency of blinking, it is necessary to get about 90 fps with a difference of approximately 30 flashes. Now that you are informed, let’s move on to the method of mounting the turn signals on your BMW R100 LT.
Tutorial for changing the front and rear turn signals on BMW R100 LT
Below, we will explain detail by detail the best way to change the turn signals on your BMW R100 LT. This process is applicable to both standard and LED signals. We will specify at the right time the differences between the installation of the standard turn signals and LED signals. The aim of this method is to provide you the proper timeline to modify your BMW R100 LT relating to the equipment you have chosen. A tiny tip relating to the LED signals, their consumption is reduced. So, if you are not currently equipped with LEDs on your BMW R100 LT, you will either need to adapt your signals relay or set up resistors to each of the power supplies of the turn signals.
- First, open the seat of your BMW R100 LT, and remove the – port of the battery in order to avoid a short-circuit.
- Then we start with the front side, removing and disconnecting the existing turn signals and we will install the brand-new ones. In some cases, you have to dismantle the fairing to adapt for the best. Take care to keep all the parts.
- Therefore, simply connect the new turn signals to the originals wires on your BMW R100 LT, pay attention to respect the electrical polarity.
- At this time, the front side is completed! Intended for the back signals of your BMW R100 LT, you have to take apart your seat and sometimes even remove your rear end fairing. It is very simplistic to accomplish with a simple tool set but be cautious of not dropping it. You could then need to use the same methodology as for the front side turn signals. And definitely, make the proper installation for your BMW R100 LT turn signal system. Therefore you just have to reassemble and reconnect the battery before closing the seat of your BMW R100 LT.
Tips on how to set up LED indicators on your BMW R100 LT
- Once your turn signals are set up, it’s completed! Unless you have to install LED turn signals and your turn signal relay is not adequate, you will have to connect power resistors for LED turn signals. It is available on the marketplace some wires already mounted with resistors, that happen to be much easier to join. You can set them wherever you want on the power supply of the turn signals, possibly just at the rear of the new turn signals. However make sure that it is positioned in a aired location as they can warm up to 100 degrees Celsius.
To end, this modification is very simple and can be done in 30 minutes if you have all the elements. As for the tool set, it is really very basic, so that a set of keys and hex key, and also a regular or electric clamp. For connections, it is possible to make use of diverse components like the electrician tape or heat-shrink sleeve but also Japanese pods or basic banana plugs. If you follow the several suggestions properly, you will be capable to do the installation fairly quickly. Hope your BMW R100 LT is a lot more flamboyant,have a good trip !!