How to change the front and rear indicators of your Harley Davidson CUSTOM 53
To start with, the indicators are for us bikers, the guarantee of our basic safety and our visibility on the road. Nevertheless, the initial indicators are not at all embellishing the motorcycle line. Especially on the Harley Davidson CUSTOM 53! To tell the truth, they are really ugly. For this reason, updating the turn indicator is now one of the first steps in the changes of the motorcycle. Just to match the general line. Additionnaly, for appearance. It is always more enjoyable to not drive the same Harley Davidson CUSTOM 53 as his neighbor. Despite the simple fact that this change is extremely simple and inexpensive, several aspects need to be considered. Especially, when turning turn signal lamps to LED indicators. It is true that the LED indicators are generally more elegant and specifically more durable because of their long life. On the other hand, their installation is definitely not as simple as when changing standard indicators. Simply because the LED indicators do not require the same electric power to run. We will describe to you the details of their set up in this posting.
Tips on how to choose the indicators for your Harley Davidson CUSTOM 53
First of all, to choose the right indicators for your Harley Davidson CUSTOM 53, it is true that we can find a lot of bad stuffs on the marketplace. And particularly with considerable price variations. For your Harley Davidson CUSTOM 53, you will have to ask yourself the right questions to choose them. Start by understanding if your Harley Davidson CUSTOM 53 is currently outfitted with standard indicators or LED ones. Basically because if you want to modify your standard indicators to LED indicators on your Harley Davidson CUSTOM 53, it will not need the precise same set up costs and techniques. For the switch to a LED system starting from a ordinary indicators installation you will have two diverse methods. The 1st technique is to switch the signal relay of your Harley Davidson CUSTOM 53 in order to have an satisfactory electric power for the new set up. The second technique is to trick your indicators relay by setting up a resistor on every indicators. Generally, the second technique is the least expensive for your Harley Davidson CUSTOM 53. As for the second technique, it’ll be described in this guide. Additionally, the certification of your Harley Davidson CUSTOM 53’s turn indicators is crucial if you don’t want to pay a fine. For their spacing set up, it is a nominal space of 240 mm at the front side and 18 cm at the rear of your Harley Davidson CUSTOM 53. And then for the frequence of flashing, it is important to be about 90 fps with a margin of more or less 30 blinks. Now that you are warned, let’s apprehend the technique of mounting the indicators on your Harley Davidson CUSTOM 53.
Training for swapping the front and rear indicators on Harley Davidson CUSTOM 53
In this section, we will explain step-by-step the best way to modify the indicators on your Harley Davidson CUSTOM 53. This process can be applied to both regular and LED indicators. We will identify at the appropriate time the variations between the set up of the standard indicators and LED indicators. The reason of this method is to provide you the proper timeline to improve your Harley Davidson CUSTOM 53 according to the equipment you have chosen. A little reminder about the LED indicators, their consumption is reduced. So, if you aren’t already geared up with LEDs on your Harley Davidson CUSTOM 53, you will either need to adapt your indicators relay or install resistors to each of the power wires of the indicators.
- Initially, open the seat of your Harley Davidson CUSTOM 53, and remove the – terminal of the electric battery in order to avoid a short-circuit.
- Then we start with the front side, removing and disconnecting the installed indicators and we will install the brand-new ones. In some instances, you will need to dismantle the fairing to adapt for the best. Be mindful to keep every parts.
- Therefore, just join the new indicators to the originals wires on your Harley Davidson CUSTOM 53, pay attention to follow the electrical polarity.
- At this point, the front side is done! Intended for the rear indicators of your Harley Davidson CUSTOM 53, you need to disassemble your seat and often even take apart your rear end fairing. It is very easy to accomplish with a standard tool set but be careful of not dropping it. You may then need to employ the same technique as for the front side indicators. And naturally, get the proper fitting for your Harley Davidson CUSTOM 53 turn indicator system. Therefore just reassemble and reconnect the electric battery before closing the seat of your Harley Davidson CUSTOM 53.
Tips on how to install LED indicators on your Harley Davidson CUSTOM 53
- Now that your indicators are placed, you are done! Except if you have to install LED indicators and your turn indicator relay is not suitable, you will have to join power resistors for LED indicators. It exists on the marketplace some wires already mounted with resistors, that happen to be much simpler to link up. You are able to place them anywhere you want on the power supply of the indicators, even just at the rear of the new indicators. Nevertheless make sure that it will be positioned in a aired location as they can warm up to 100 degrees Celsius.
To finish, this operation is very simple and can be performed in thirty short minutes if you possess all the parts. As for the tool, it is definitely very standard, so that a set of keys and hex key, and also a standard or electric clamp. For connections, it is conceivable to use diverse components like the electrician tape or heat-shrink sleeve but even Japanese pods or simple banana plugs. If you follow the several indications properly, you will be capable to do the modification quickly. Hope your Harley Davidson CUSTOM 53 is a lot more elaborate,have a very good ride !!