How to change the front and rear indicators of your Harley-Davidson Electra Glide
To begin with, the turn signals are actually for us bikers, the guarantors of our security and our presence on the road. However, the original signals are not at all embellishing the motorcycle design. Specifically on the Harley-Davidson Electra Glide! To tell the truth, they are really unpleasant. Therefore, changing the turn indicator has become one of the first steps in the changes of the motorcycle. Simply to fit the general line. Additionnaly, for authenticity. It is always more pleasant to not drive the equal Harley-Davidson Electra Glide as anybody else. Despite the fact that this modification is extremely simple and affordable, several factors have to be considered. Especially, when turning ordinary indicators to LED turn signals. It is right that the LED signals are ordinary more elegant and most importantly longer lasting because of their extended life. On the other hand, their setting up is definitely not as basic as when changing standard turn signals. Simply because the LED turn signals do not involve the same electric power to operate. We will describe to you the specs of their installation in this posting.
Tips on how to choose the indicators for your Harley-Davidson Electra Glide
First, to find the right signals for your Harley-Davidson Electra Glide, it is true that we can find everything and anything on the market. And particularly with huge selling price variations. To improve your Harley-Davidson Electra Glide, you will need to ask yourself the best concerns to find the perfect signals. Begin by knowing if your Harley-Davidson Electra Glide is previously outfitted with standard indicators or LED indicators. Just because if you wish to change your standard indicators to LED turn signals on your Harley-Davidson Electra Glide, it will not need the precise same installation spending and techniques. For the change to a LED system starting from a ordinary installation you will have two diverse techniques. The first approach is to change the flash relay of your Harley-Davidson Electra Glide to be able to have an sufficient electric power for the new unit installation. The 2nd method is to deceive your flashing relay by installing a resistor on each turn signals. Generally, the 2nd approach is the most cost-effective for your Harley-Davidson Electra Glide. Concerning the 2nd approach, it will be described in this article. Secondly, the qualification of your Harley-Davidson Electra Glide’s turn indicators is crucial in the event you do not desire to pay a fine. For their intervals installation, it is a minimum gap of 240 mm at the front and 180 mm at the rear of your Harley-Davidson Electra Glide. And for the frequence of flashing, it is necessary to be around 90 fps with a margin of approximately 30 flashes. Now that you are notified, let’s move on to the method of mounting the turn signals on your Harley-Davidson Electra Glide.
Tutorial for changing the front and rear turn signals on Harley-Davidson Electra Glide
Here, we will explain detail by detail how to change the turn signals on your Harley-Davidson Electra Glide. This process is applicable to both standard and LED signals. We will identify at the right time the variations between the installation of the regular turn signals and LED signals. The purpose of this process is to provide you the proper timeline to improve your Harley-Davidson Electra Glide regarding to the products you have decided on. A little reminder relating to the LED signals, their consumption is lower. Consequently, if you aren’t currently geared up with LEDs on your Harley-Davidson Electra Glide, you will either have to modify your signals relay or install resistors to each of the power wires of the turn signals.
- First of all, open up the seat of your Harley-Davidson Electra Glide, and then remove the – terminal of the electric battery to be able to prevent a bypass.
- Then we start with the front, dismantling and disconnecting the installed turn signals and we will install the brand-new ones. In some cases, you will need to dismantle the fairing to adjust for the best. Be mindful to keep every parts.
- Then, simply connect the new turn signals to the existing wires on your Harley-Davidson Electra Glide, in taking care to respect the electrical polarity.
- At this point, the front is completed! Intended for the back signals of your Harley-Davidson Electra Glide, you will need to disassemble your seat and sometimes even remove your back fairing. It is fairly simplistic to accomplish with a basic tool set but be careful of not dropping it. You may then have to employ the same technique as for the front turn signals. And naturally, get the proper installation for your Harley-Davidson Electra Glide turn indicator system. Then just reassemble and reunite the electric battery before closing the seat of your Harley-Davidson Electra Glide.
Tips on how to install LED indicators on your Harley-Davidson Electra Glide
- Now that your turn signals are placed, it’s completed! Except if you have to mount LED turn signals and your turn indicator relay is not suitable, you will have to connect power resistors for LED turn signals. It exists on the market some resistive wires, that are much simpler to link up. You can place them wherever you desire on the power supply of the turn signals, possibly just behind the new turn signals. However make sure that it is situated in a aired location as they may heat up to 100 degrees Celsius.
To end, this operation is very simple and can be achieved in thirty mins if you have all the elements. As for the tool, it is really very standard, so that a set of keys and hex key, and also a regular or electric clamp. For cable connections, it is possible to use several components like the electrician tape or heat-shrink sleeve but also Japanese pods or basic banana plugs. If you follow the several suggestions correctly, you should be able to do the installation quickly. Hope your Harley-Davidson Electra Glide is a lot more flamboyant,have a good ride !!