Tips to drain the oil of your Harley Davidson BAD BOY?
Initially, doing the main maintenance of its Harley Davidson BAD BOY will allow you to make great cost savings year-round. Indeed, motorbikes require a special focus when it comes to maintaining it. But for this, there is no need to be a petrol head, neither to have studied engines. For your Harley Davidson BAD BOY, a basic of motorcycle maintenance is the drain. It is not useful to do it on your own if ever the motorcycle is still under warranty but after this period, for your wallet, it is recommended to know how to maintain your Harley Davidson BAD BOY. Basically because economically it’s great, as well because it allows you to appreciate how your motorcycle works and certainly to adore it even more!
Why is it important to drain and change the engine oil of its Harley Davidson BAD BOY?
Let’s start with a small explanation, the engine oil of your Harley Davidson BAD BOY has several tasks. First, engine oil or oil drain, as its identity implies, to be able to lubricate the engine motor of your Harley Davidson BAD BOY. Therefore the oil has an essential role, it significantly decreases the scrubbing within your motorcycle. Furthermore, by minimizing friction, it as well reduces the rise of temperature. After that, by this technological characteristic, it preserves the wellness of the engine block of your Harley Davidson BAD BOY. Finally, it has a role of cleaning and a good defense against corrosion. The oil has the characteristic of developing a very good level of resistance to the stresses of an engine block but it is not timeless. Quite simply, after running the motor of your motorcycle, it charges with dross when it flows in the engine motor. At the level of impurities, the list can be extended by heading from metal filings, to dusting linings from the clutch discs. Moving through dust sucked by your driving. Along the time, its color gets closer to a dark color and turns to black. The more it is, the more you have to be quick to change it!
The method to drain the engine oil of its Harley Davidson BAD BOY
When do I have to drain my Harley Davidson BAD BOY?
Initially, to have a good suggestion of ??the draining frequencies on your Harley Davidson BAD BOY, just take a look in your manufacturer’s manual. There you can find the basis of the recommendations for the maintenance of your motorcycle. Nevertheless, it is completely advisable to drain your engine approximately every 5000 to 1000km or 3000 to 6000 miles, and if you may not ride as often, at least annually. Also, before the wintere storage, it’s greater. Further, the motive of your draining is the driving. And that’s what create impurities in your motor block. The most severe are petrol residues in the oil due to condensation if your engine motor runs cold, as well as a segmentation in poor condition. As gasoline has drying out properties, it really makes a bad cocktail in your Harley Davidson BAD BOY. Consequently, it acidifies the oil, eliminates its anti-corrosion aspect and puffs the gaskets. On the other hand, if the engine motor heats up as well as , your use is highly performance-minded, it can also appear. To summarize, it is necessary to verify over its Harley Davidson BAD BOY and ensure to have a respectful use of the motorcycle. No need to drain too much, nevertheless at the correct time.
The needed tools, the time it requires and the level of difficulty to drain your Harley Davidson BAD BOY
Initially, on the difficulty level, it’s highly simplistic and it won’t require particular mechanical skills. Second of all, if you follow the guidelines of draining your Harley Davidson BAD BOY, you’ll have completed it within just an hour. Finally, you will need a basic tools collection (keys), a oil filter wrench or a strap wrench (you can make one with a metallic collar and a lttle bit of judgment), a recuperator fot the Oil (a cut in half petrol can, works as well). And naturally, a new oil filter, a new gasket if yours is damaged and your new motor oil.
The Ten basic steps to drain Your Harley Davidson BAD BOY
- 1) Initially, the preparation. 1st, heat up the motor of your Harley Davidson BAD BOY. Certainly, it is customary for the drainage to be always carried out with a heated up block, because this helps the oil to be more fluid. Consequently, it flows greater and it’s more rapid. After that put your Harley Davidson BAD BOY on its stand and put the oil collector underneath the draining screw. Ensure that the recuperator is adequate. To accomplish it better, you can always put an old linen or cardboard under the oil recuperator.
- 2) Second of all, the draining. First, you can easily unscrew the oil cap by which we floods the oil.Therefore the air that gets into the engine block and helps the oil circulation, so let the oil cap opened up. After that, find your draining screw (under the motor, extremely recognizable and indicated in the manufacturer’s book) and unlock it with a key at the correct size. No adjustable wrench please, it damages the screws. After that, as soon you are set, you can completely release the drain screw of your Harley Davidson BAD BOY. On the other hand make sure to be careful to not burn your hands, you should use hand protection, it is even recommended.
- 3) Nowadays let the engine oil drain until the circulation ceases. After that, move the collector beneath the oil filter. Then, make use of your filter wrench (or strap) to remove the oil filter from your Harley Davidson BAD BOY. And let it flows. Most are convenient to remove. Make sure remember the placement of the parts that arrive with the oil filter. If it seems sophisticated, take a photo.
- 4) Nowadays, you can set up your new oil filter on your Harley Davidson BAD BOY. But take good care to have every thing cleaned and knowing methods to install it. There could be mechanical seals and springs, so be mindful to remember everything and certainly to put everything back in the right direction. In general, you should have all the instructions in the new oil filter box.Highly essential, oil the gasket of your new oil filter to guarantee the waterproofing and improve the tightening.
- 5) Regarding to the tightening up of the new oil filter of your Harley Davidson BAD BOY, there are two options. The first one in accordance to the motorcycle model, you have markers surrounding the oil filter which will allows to find out the strength of the tightening. The second is to put the seal in contact and squeeze nearly a turn.
- 6) Set back the draining screw under the motorcycle, carefully tighten up or torque (35-40 Nm), no need to crack the motor crankcase! And so if the gasket is in a bad shape, install a new one.
- 7) At this point everything have to be in position, fill in your new oil, either within the minimum and maximum level when you have an indicator on your Harley Davidson BAD BOY, or by the amount suggested in the maintenance guide or on the net (be careful to identify a trustworthy info).
- 8) Nowadays seal the drain cap and start your motorcycle.
- 9) Leave your Harley Davidson BAD BOY runnine enough time to increase its temperature and chack that the oil lamp is not lighten. Cut off your motor, and recheck the oil level of your Harley Davidson BAD BOY.
- 10) Clear away! When your Harley Davidson BAD BOY is all set to be riden, make sure to keep the used motor oil and make it reproced. Tidy your tools well, and of course, run for a drive!