The best way to drain the oil of your Harley-Davidson Electra Glide?
Initially, doing the main maintenance of its Harley-Davidson Electra Glide will allow you to make great cost savings year-round. Actually, motorcycles require a particular focus with regards to preserving it. But for this, it’s not needed to be a god of mechanics, nor to have studied engines. For your Harley-Davidson Electra Glide, one of the basics of motorcycle protection is to drain the oil. There is no need to do it yourself if the motorcycle is still under guarantee but just after this period, for your budget, it is necessary to know how to maintain your Harley-Davidson Electra Glide. Simply because economically it’s worth it, also because it helps you to understand how your motorcycle functions and naturally to adore it much more!
Why is it important to drain and change the engine oil of its Harley-Davidson Electra Glide?
Let’s start with a small explanation, the engine oil of your Harley-Davidson Electra Glide has many roles. Initially, engine oil or oil drain, as its identity implies, helps to lubricate the engine motor of your Harley-Davidson Electra Glide. Therefore the oil has a key function, it significantly minimizes the scrubbing inside your motorcycle. Additionally, by reducing friction, it also reduces the rise of temperature. After that, by this technological aspect, it maintains the wellness of the engine block of your Harley-Davidson Electra Glide. At last, it has a function of cleaning and a good defense against corrosion. The oil has the attribute of developing a good resistance to the stresses of a thermic engine but it is not everlasting. Quite simply, by running the motor of your motorcycle, it charges with dross when it circulates in the engine. For the pollutants, the numeration can be long by heading from metal filings, to dusting linings from the clutch discs. Passing through dust sucked by your driving. Along the time, its tone gets closer to a dark shade and turns to black. The more it is, the more you have to be quick to drain it!
The method to drain the engine oil of its Harley-Davidson Electra Glide
When do I need to drain my Harley-Davidson Electra Glide?
Initially, to have a good idea of ??the draining frequencies on your Harley-Davidson Electra Glide, just have a look in your brand’s manual. There you will find the basis of the recommendations for the maintenance of your motorcycle. However, it is generally wise to drain your engine about every 5000 to 1000km or 3000 to 6000 miles, and if you don’t ride as often, at minimum every year. Also, just before wintering, it’s better. Second, the cause of your draining is the driving. And that is what precisely generate impurities in your motor block. The most unfortunate are petrol residues in the oil as a result of condensation if your engine motor operates cold, or a segmentation in bad shape. As fuel has drying properties, it actually makes a terrible cocktail in your Harley-Davidson Electra Glide. Consequently, it adds acidity in the oil, removes its anti-corrosion aspect and puffs the gaskets. On the other hand, if the engine motor warms up as well as , your use is highly sporty, it can also come up. In conclusion, it is required to verify over its Harley-Davidson Electra Glide and make sure to enjoy a respectful use of the motorcycle. You do not have to change your oil constantly, but at the proper time.
The needed tools, the time it requires and the level of difficulty to drain your Harley-Davidson Electra Glide
Initially, on the difficulty level, it is highly easy and it does not need specific mechanical skills. Secondly, if you follow the steps of draining your Harley-Davidson Electra Glide, you’ll have completed it within an hour. Finally, you need to have a basic tools set (keys), a filter wrench tool or a strap wrench (you can make one with a metallic collar and a lttle bit of judgment), a recuperator fot the Oil (a cut in half petrol can, works also). And obviously, a new oil filter, a new gasket if yours is worn and your new motor oil.
The Ten simple steps to drain Your Harley-Davidson Electra Glide
- 1) Initially, the preparation. First, warm up the motor of your Harley-Davidson Electra Glide. Certainly, it is normal for the drainage to be usually carried out in the heat, because this allows the oil to be more fluid. Consequently, it flows better and it’s more rapid. After that put your Harley-Davidson Electra Glide on its stand and place the oil collector underneath the screw for draining. Make sure that the recuperator is adequate. To accomplish it better, you may always put an old sheet or cardboard underneath the engine oil recuperator.
- 2) Second of all, the drain. Initially, you can easily unscrew the oil cap by which one we fills the engine oil.Therefore the air that enters the engine block and helps the oil circulation, so let the cap opened up. After that, locate your draining screw (under the motor, very recognizable and indicated in the manufacturer’s book) and unlock it by way of a key at the suitable size. No adjustable wrench tool please, it damages the screws. After that, as soon you are set, you can totally release the drain screw of your Harley-Davidson Electra Glide. On the other hand be sure to be mindful to not burn off your hands, you can use gloves, it is even recommended.
- 3) Now let the motor oil drain until the circulation ceases. After that, place the collector below the oil filter. Then, employ your filter wrench (or strap) to remove the oil filter from your Harley-Davidson Electra Glide. And let it flows. The majority is easy to take out. Make sure consider the placement of the parts that come with the oil filter. If it seems sophisticated, take a picture.
- 4) Now, you can set up your new oil filter on your Harley-Davidson Electra Glide. But take care to have every parts cleaned and knowing methods to mount it. There might be gaskets and springs, so take care to keep in mind everything and naturally to put everything back again in the right position. Generally speaking, you should have all the instructions in the new oil filter package.Highly essential, oil the gasket of your new oil filter to ensure the waterproofing and improve the tightening up.
- 5) Regarding to the tightening of the new oil filter of your Harley-Davidson Electra Glide, generally there are actually two options. The pioneer one according to the motorbike model, you can read markers surrounding the filter which enables to find out the strength of the tightening up. The secondary is to put the gasket in contact and squeeze almost a turn.
- 6) Set back the draining screw under the motorcycle, carefully tighten or torque (35-40 Nm), no need to crack the motor crankcase! And if the gasket is in a bad shape, install a new one.
- 7) At this point everything have to be into position, fill in your new oil, either within the minimum and maximum level if you have an indicator on your Harley-Davidson Electra Glide, or by the volume indicated in the maintenance booklet or on the internet (be watchful to identify a trustworthy data).
- 8) Now seal the drain cap and start up your motorbike.
- 9) Leave your Harley-Davidson Electra Glide runnine enough time to increase its temperature and check out that the oil indicator is not lighten. Cut off your motor, and recheck the oil level of your Harley-Davidson Electra Glide.
- 10) Tidy up! As soon as your Harley-Davidson Electra Glide is prepared to go, be certain to keep the used motor oil and make it recycled. Tidy your properly well, and of course, go for a drive!