How to drain the oil of your Honda Africa twin?
First of all, executing the basic maintenance of its Honda Africa twin will allow you to make big cost savings all year round. Actually, motorbikes necessitate a particular focus when it comes to maintaining it. But for this, there is no need to be a mechanics, neither to have studied engines. For your Honda Africa twin, one of the basics of motorbike maintenance is to drain the oil. There is no need to do it on your own if the motorbike is still under service contract but just after this period, for your wallet, it is recommended to know how to take care of your Honda Africa twin. Basically because economically it’s worth it, also because it helps you to understand how your motorcycle performs and certainly to adore it even more!
Why is it important to drain and change the oil of your Honda Africa twin?
Firstly, the oil of your Honda Africa twin has many functions. First, engine oil or oil drain, as its name suggests, helps to lubricate the engine of your Honda Africa twin. So the oil has an essential role, it significantly decreases the scrubbing inside your motorbike. Furthermore, by reducing friction, it also reduces the rise of temperature. Then, by this technological characteristic, it preserves the wellness of the engine block of your Honda Africa twin. Finally, it has a role of cleaning and a good defense against corrosion. The oil has the feature of developing a very good level of resistance to the challenges of a thermic engine but it is not eternal. Quite simply, after running the engine of your motorbike, it loads with dross when it circulates in the engine. For the pollutants, the list can be long by going from metal filings, to dusting linings from the clutch discs. Moving through dust sucked by your use. Along the time, its color gets closer to a dark color and converts to black. The more it is, the more you have to be quick to change it!
The method to drain the engine oil of its Honda Africa twin
When do I have to drain my Honda Africa twin?
First of all, to have a good idea of ??the draining frequencies on your Honda Africa twin, just have a look in your manufacturer’s manual. There you will find the basis of the recommendations for the maintenance of your motorbike. Nevertheless, it is generally advisable to drain your oil about every 5000 to 1000km or 3000 to 6000 miles, and if you will not ride as often, at least annually. Also, before the wintere storage, it’s better. Secondary, the cause of your draining is the use. And that is what precisely create impurities in your engine. The most unfortunate are petrol residues in the oil due to condensation if your engine runs cold, or a segmentation in bad shape. As gasoline has drying out characteristics, it really makes a bad combination in your Honda Africa twin. As a result, it adds acidity in the oil, eliminates its anti-corrosion aspect and puffs the gaskets. On the other hand, if the engine motor heats up and your use is very sporty, it can also appear. In conclusion, it is necessary to check out over its Honda Africa twin and ensure to enjoy a respectful use of the motorbike. You do not have to change your oil too much, nevertheless at the right time.
The needed equipment, the time it takes and the level of difficulty to drain your Honda Africa twin
First of all, on the difficulty level, it’s very easy and it doesn’t need specific knowledge. Secondly, if you stick to the guidelines of draining your Honda Africa twin, you’ll have completed it after only an hour. Thirdly, you will need to have a basic tools set (keys), a oil filter wrench or a strap wrench (you can try to make one with a metallic collar and a little of judgment), a recuperator fot the Oil (a cut in half petrol can, works also). And of course, a new oil filter, a new gasket if yours is donned and your new engine oil.
The Ten steps to drain Your Honda Africa twin
- 1) First of all, the preparation. 1st, warm up the engine of your Honda Africa twin. Indeed, it is customary for the drainage to be always carried out with a heated up block, because this helps the oil to have a smoother flow. As a result, it flows better and it takes less time. Then put your Honda Africa twin on stand and place the oil recuperator under the draining screw. Ensure that the recuperator is big enough. To accomplish it better, you can always put an old sheet or cardboard under the engine oil recuperator.
- 2) Second, the drain. First, you can unscrew the oil cap by which we floods the engine oil.Therefore the air that gets into the engine block and helps the oil flow, so let the cap opened up. Then, find your draining screw (under the engine, extremely recognizable and mentioned in the manufacturer’s book) and unlock it by way of a key at the right size. No adjustable wrench please, it destroys the screws. Then, now that you are prepared, you can totally loosen the drain screw of your Honda Africa twin. Nevertheless be sure to be careful to not burn your hands, you can easily use gloves, it is even advised.
- 3) Nowadays let the oil drain until the flow ceases. Then, place the recuperator under the oil filter. Then, make use of your filter wrench (or strap) to take out the oil filter from your Honda Africa twin. And let it flows. The majority is convenient to remove. Make sure keep in mind the position of the parts that come with the oil filter. If it seems complicated, take a picture.
- 4) Nowadays, you can install your new oil filter on your Honda Africa twin. But take care to have every single thing cleaned and knowing methods to mount it. There could be gaskets and springs, so be careful to keep in mind their dispositions and certainly to put the parts back again in the right direction. Generally, you will have all the instructions in the new oil filter box.Highly important, oil the gasket of your new oil filter to make sure the waterproofing and help the tightening up.
- 5) Concerning the tightening up of the new oil filter of your Honda Africa twin, there are a couple of alternatives. The first one in accordance to the motorbike model, you can see indicators surrounding the oil filter which will enables to know the intensity of the tightening up. The secondary is to put the gasket in touch and screw nearly a complete turn.
- 6) Replace the draining screw on the engine, gently tighten or torque (35-40 Nm), no need to crack the engine crankcase! And so if the gasket is tired, install a new one.
- 7) At this level every spare parts should be in position, fill in your new engine oil, either within the min and max level if you have an indicator on your Honda Africa twin, or by the quantity mentioned in the maintenance booklet or on the internet (be careful to find out a reliable data).
- 8) Nowadays close up the drain cap and then start up your engine motor.
- 9) Leave your Honda Africa twin runnine enough time to elevate its temperature and chack that the oil indicator is not lighten. Cut off your engine, and recheck the oil level of your Honda Africa twin.
- 10) Tidy up! As soon as your Honda Africa twin is prepared to go, be sure to keep the used engine oil and make it recycled. Tidy your tools well, and naturally, go for a trip!