Tips to drain the oil of your Honda VFR 800?
First of all, carrying out the key maintenance of its Honda VFR 800 will allow you to make big cost savings year-round. Actually, motorcycles require a special attention with regards to maintaining it. Furthermore, there is no need to be a mechanics, neither to have studied engines. For your Honda VFR 800, a basic of motorbike protection is to drain the oil. It is not useful to do it on your own if the motorbike is still under warranty but just after this period, for your budget, it is important to learn how to maintain your Honda VFR 800. Basically because financially it’s great, also because it allows you to understand how your motorcycle works and naturally to adore it much more!
For what reason is it necessary to drain and change the oil of your Honda VFR 800?
Let’s start with a small explanation, the oil of your Honda VFR 800 has several tasks. Initially, engine oil or oil drain, as its identity implies, to be able to lubricate the engine motor of your Honda VFR 800. Therefore the oil has an essential function, it significantly reduces the scrubbing inside your motorbike. Additionally, by minimizing friction, it also reduces the rise of heat. After that, by this technological aspect, it maintains the health of the engine of your Honda VFR 800. At last, it has a function of cleaning and a good defense against corrosion. The oil has the attribute of developing a good resistance to the challenges of an engine block but it is not eternal. Quite simply, by running the motor of your motorbike, it loads with dross when it flows in the engine block. At the level of pollutants, the list can be extended by heading from metal filings, to dusting linings from the clutch discs. Moving through dust sucked by your driving. Along the time, its color gets closer to a dark shade and transforms to black. The more it is, the more you have to be quick to change it!
The technique to drain the engine oil of its Honda VFR 800
When do I have to drain my Honda VFR 800?
First of all, to have a good idea of ??the draining frequencies on your Honda VFR 800, just check out in your brand’s manual. Here you can find the basics of the suggestions for the maintenance of your motorbike. However, it is generally wise to drain your engine approximately every 5000 to 1000km or 3000 to 6000 miles, and if you will not ride as much, at minimum annually. Also, before the wintere storage, it’s better. Further, the reason of your draining is the use. And that’s what create impurities in your motor block. The most severe are fuel residues in the oil as a result of condensation if your engine motor runs cold, as well as your segmentation in poor condition. As gasoline has drying properties, it actually makes a bad combination in your Honda VFR 800. As a result, it adds acidity in the oil, removes its anti-corrosion side and puffs the gaskets. Conversely, if the engine warms up and your use is very performance-minded, it can also happen. To summarize, it is required to watch over its Honda VFR 800 and ensure to have a respectful use of the motorbike. No need to drain too much, but at the right time.
The needed equipment, the time it requires and the level of complexity to drain your Honda VFR 800
First of all, on the complexity level, it’s very simplistic and it does not require specific mechanical skills. Secondly, if you stick to the guidelines of draining your Honda VFR 800, you’ll have completed it after only an hour. Finally, you need a basic tools collection (keys), a filter wrench or a strap wrench (you can make one with a metallic collar and a lttle bit of technical sense), a recuperator fot the Oil (a cut in half petrol can, works also). And naturally, a new oil filter, a new gasket if yours is damaged and your new motor oil.
The 10 simple steps to drain Your Honda VFR 800
- 1) First of all, the preparation. 1st, warm up the motor of your Honda VFR 800. Indeed, it is customary for the drainage to be usually executed in the heat, because this facilitates the oil to have a smoother flow. As a result, it runs better and it takes less time. After that put your Honda VFR 800 on stand and place the oil recuperator under the screw for draining. Make certain that the recuperator is big enough. To do it cleaner, you may always put an old sheet or cardboard under the oil recuperator.
- 2) Further, the drain. Initially, you can easily unscrew the oil cap by which one we fills the oil.Therefore the air that gets into the engine and helps the oil flow, so let the oil cap opened. After that, find your draining screw (under the motor, very identifiable and indicated in the manufacturer’s book) and unscrew it with a key at the right size. No adjustable wrench please, it destroys the screws. After that, once you are set, you can entirely release the drain screw of your Honda VFR 800. On the other hand make sure to be careful to not burn off your hands, you can easily use hand protection, it is even encouraged.
- 3) Nowadays let the oil drain until the flow ceases. After that, place the recuperator under the oil filter. Then, employ your filter wrench (or strap) to unscrew the oil filter from your Honda VFR 800. And let it runs. Most are easy to take out. Make sure keep in mind the position of the parts that arrive with the oil filter. If it seems sophisticated, take a picture.
- 4) Nowadays, you can install your new oil filter on your Honda VFR 800. But take care to have every single thing cleaned and knowing how to install it. There could be mechanical seals and springs, so be mindful to remember their dispositions and naturally to put the parts back in the right direction. Generally, you will have all the instructions in the new oil filter package.Very essential, oil the seal of your new oil filter to make sure the waterproofing and help the tightening.
- 5) Concerning the tightening of the new oil filter of your Honda VFR 800, there are actually two options. The first one according to the motorbike model, you should be able to see markers around the filter which will allows to know the strength of the tightening. The further is to put the gasket in touch and squeeze nearly a complete turn.
- 6) Replace the draining screw under the motorbike, gently tighten or torque (35-40 Nm), no need to fracture the motor crankcase! And as well, if the seal is tired, install a new one.
- 7) At this stage everything have to be in position, fill in your new oil, either within the minimum and maximum level if you have an indicator on your Honda VFR 800, or by the volume suggested in the maintenance guide or on the internet (be careful to find out a reliable data).
- 8) Nowadays seal the drain cap and then start your motorbike.
- 9) Leave your Honda VFR 800 turned on a sufficient amount of time to raise its heat and chack that the oil indicator is not lighten. Cut off your motor, and recheck the oil level of your Honda VFR 800.
- 10) Tidy up! As soon as your Honda VFR 800 is ready to be riden, make sure to keep the used motor oil and make it recycled. Clean your tools well, and go for a trip!